Capture the dramatic scenery of Tasmania’s wild south west on a dedicated photography expedition
|Starts & ends:||Hobart|
|Access:||Return scenic wilderness flights|
|Cruise:||Port Davey & Bathurst Harbour|
|Vessel:||Boutique expedition-cruise catamaran (24m)|
Explore a Wilderness World Heritage-listed area that is a photographer’s paradise
During this intimate floating workshop, our photographic guide will seek out the best light, locations, and compositions on daily guided walks and tender excursions. Destinations and photographic subjects are shaped by wind and tide, swell and sunlight, and guests’ interests. Back on board, participants will be guided through post-production processes in both group and one-on-one sessions.
Why this is the experience of a lifetime:
- Explore with expert guide and photographer Peter Marmion, who has been photographing this wilderness for 50 years
- Be one of just a handful of people to capture this natural frontier, inaccessible by road, through the camera lens
- Discover the moody landscapes, reflective waterways and contrasts of light and dark that make this place a photographer’s dream
- Daily guided walks and tender excursions
- Tailored itinerary seeking photographic destinations and moments
- Luxury accommodation on expedition vessel Odalisque
- Photographic guide, expert skipper, host and chef
- All meals featuring gourmet Tasmanian produce
- Selection of fine Tasmanian wine and local boutique beer
- National Park entrance fees
- Weatherproof rain poncho for tender excursions
- Return scenic wilderness flights from Hobart to Port Davey via seaplane
|4-night Port Davey Escape||$11,600||$13,100|
Fares are per person, based on twin share.
Take advantage of our Luxury Lodges Celebratory Offer: $1,800 travel credit per cabin.
This special expedition departs only once a season. Upcoming departure dates are:
- 11-15 April 2024
- 9-13 April 2025
Here are guide Peter Marmion’s top nine photography highlights of the Port Davey region:
- Spectacular lighting of the landscapes at dusk and dawn.
- Uniquely textured rock formations at the Breaksea Islands.
- Panoramic views from the peaks of Balmoral Hill and Mt Beattie.
- The contrast between reflective waterways and wild seas.
- Huon pine-lined gorge of the Davey River.
- Saturation and subdued tones of the magical Autumn light.
- Moody lighting in the craggy corners of cliff faces.
- Seabirds and marine life, including eagles, dolphins and seals.
- Different perspectives; getting up close to the extremes before taking a step back to take it all in.
Have questions? Get in touch with Pieter & Alice
On Board's expert team are available to chat between 9-5 pm every day
Call now or book a time to chat via video call. Email us anytime and we'll get back to you shortly. We're here to answer your questions.
Call on 0477 100 119
Book a Video Call with Piet or Alice
Floating Luxury Lodge in the Wilderness
Hitting the water in January 2023, Odalisque III is brand new, providing boutique accommodation and an exclusive wilderness experience for just 12 guests. The 24m catamaran features six well-appointed cabins and spacious indoor and outdoor lounge areas with expansive ocean views.
Photography guide Peter Marmion is a master of landscape photography within Port Davey. A frequent visitor since the early 1970s, he has over 50 years of experience in the region. Peter is guaranteed to get our photographers to the right place at the right time. His in-depth knowledge of the area’s history, flora and fauna also provides a deeper appreciation for every subject.
Supporting our photographic guide is an all star crew, including skipper and host.
Food & Wine
Meals are an indulgent culinary experience made from fresh seasonal Tasmanian produce
Our specialist chefs have been borrowed from some of Hobart’s top restaurants. Expect perfect picnics, freshly-baked cookies pulled from the oven just as hungry hikers return, and flavoursome feasts in what is quite possibly the most remote restaurant in Tasmania.
Choose from a splendid selection of cool climate wines, crisp craft beers and slow-sipping spirits. Drink in hand, sink into a soft lounge and take in the everchanging view.
Scenic wilderness seaplane flight
A special 40-minute flight from Hobart to the wilderness bookends this special experience. Guests fly on On Board's new dedicated seaplane, a Cessna Caravan, landing on Bathurst Harbour right next to expedition vessel Odalisque III.
How would you like to travel with us?
Groups of Family & Friends
Unlock exclusive experiences with group bookings - and let us help with the organising.
Reconnect with each other through shared adventure and indulgence. Choose to join the group activities or enjoy a little time to yourselves.
Guests travelling solo are very welcome. There are a few different ways to travel with us.
Port Davey Map
Map your journey of discovery into Tasmania’s secluded south west. Itineraries are fluid, shaped by wind and weather, time and tide – and to the interests of our guests. From sea cave to mountaintop, ocean beach to river gorge, rainforest to button grass plain, here are the highlights of the harbour.
Life long memories and images captured!
What a special place!
TRIP OF A LIFETIME
Other Ways to Discover the South West
South Coast Cruise
Jump on board the bi-annual voyage between Hobart and Port Davey. This special multi-day expedition tracks the inaccessible and notoriously wild south coast of Tasmania, cruising past rugged headlands, remote coastal towns and secluded bays.
Port Davey Escape Expeditions
Over four to six nights, venture into untouched lands of majestic quartzite mountains, mirror-calm waterways and wave-battered coastlines in a remote harbour at the edge of the world. Itineraries on this immersive wilderness experience are tailored to guest interests, including photography.