Capture the dramatic scenery of Tasmania’s wild south west on a 4-night dedicated photography expedition led by expert guide and photographer Peter Marmion
Moody landscapes, reflective waterways and contrasts of light and dark make this Wilderness World Heritage-listed area a photographer’s paradise. Inaccessible by road, be one of just a handful of people to discover this natural frontier through the camera lens.
During this intimate floating workshop, our photographic guide will seek out the best light, locations, and compositions on daily tender and shore excursions. Destinations and photographic subjects are shaped by wind and tide, swell and sunlight, and guests’ own interests. Back on board, participants will be guided through post-production processes in both group and one-on-one sessions.
- Daily tender and shore excursions
- Tailored itinerary seeking photographic destinations and moments
- Intimate wilderness experience and accommodation onboard boutique-cruiser Odalisque
- Photographic guide, expert skipper, host and chef
- All meals featuring gourmet Tasmanian produce
- Selection of fine Tasmanian wine and local boutique beer
- National Park entrance fees
- Weatherproof rain poncho for tender excursions
- Return flights from Hobart to the south west
This special expedition departs only once a season. Upcoming departure dates are:
12-16 April 2023
11-15 April 2024
|4-night Port Davey Photography Expedition||$11,000||$12,500|
Fares are per person, based on twin share.
Here are guide Peter Marmion’s top nine photography highlights of the Port Davey region:
- Spectacular lighting of the landscapes at dusk and dawn.
- Uniquely textured rock formations at the Breaksea Islands.
- Panoramic views from the peaks of Balmoral Hill and Mt Beattie.
- The contrast between reflective waterways and wild seas.
- Huon pine-lined gorge of the Davey River.
- Saturation and subdued tones of the magical Autumn light.
- Moody lighting in the craggy corners of cliff faces.
- Seabirds and marine life, including eagles, dolphins and seals.
- Different perspectives; getting up close to the extremes before taking a step back to take it all in.
Photography guide Peter Marmion is a master of landscape photography within Port Davey. A frequent visitor since the early 1970s, he has over 50 years of experience in the region. Peter is guaranteed to get our photographers to the right place at the right time. His in-depth knowledge of the area’s history, flora and fauna also provides a deeper appreciation for every subject.
Supporting our photographic guide is an all star crew, including skipper and host.
Port Davey Map
Map your journey of discovery into Tasmania’s secluded south west. Itineraries are fluid, shaped by wind and weather, time and tide – and to the interests of our guests. From sea cave to mountaintop, ocean beach to river gorge, rainforest to button grass plain, here are the highlights of the harbour.
Food & Wine
Meals are an indulgent culinary experience made from fresh seasonal Tasmanian produce
Our specialist chefs have been borrowed from some of Hobart’s top restaurants. Expect perfect picnics, freshly-baked cookies pulled from the oven just as hungry hikers return, and flavoursome feasts in what is quite possibly the most remote restaurant in Tasmania.
Choose from a splendid selection of cool climate wines, crisp craft beers and slow-sipping spirits. Drink in hand, sink into a soft lounge and take in the everchanging view.
Life long memories and images captured!
What a special place!
TRIP OF A LIFETIME
Other ways to discover the South West
South Coast Cruise
Jump on board the bi-annual voyage between Hobart and Port Davey. This special multi-day expedition tracks the inaccessible and notoriously wild south coast of Tasmania, cruising past rugged headlands, remote coastal towns and secluded bays.
Port Davey Expeditions
Over four to six nights, venture into untouched lands of majestic quartzite mountains, mirror-calm waterways and wave-battered coastlines in a remote harbour at the edge of the world. Itineraries on this immersive wilderness experience are tailored to guest interests, including photography.